Saturday, May 2, 2009

The War

** This was written when I was 15 for a Poetry Recitation Competition. This was how I saw war in the eyes of a teenager. **

The angry blasts of guns roared in the midst ~ A piercing scream filled the cold, still air ~ A thousand footsteps on the run ~ Dead bodies strewn everywhere.

The blood still lay fresh and red ~ The bodies lay still and dead ~ But no one cared, for no one dared ~ Or else, that too, could be their fate.

Screams for help, cries for mercy ~ Were only met by the cold cruel rifle ~ They slayed the men, killed their wives ~ and the children dead, in the violent battle.

This war has claimed many a life ~ From the bitter start, till the grieving end ~ Sounds of wailing from no where ~ Pools of tears and bloodshed, here and there.

The lucky ones escaped death ~ But the rest were left to fate ~ The chances to live were very slim ~ Because rescue came, just too late.

Though they suffered pain, ~ With the crying of the rain, ~ The soldiers showed no sympathy ~ They pointed their guns, and aloud came a shot -BANG! ~ And the rest, was history...

I had run many a mile ~ My shoes all torn and my flesh bled ~ The faster I ran, the further I went ~ My life, was just beneath my feet.

But if I failed, I shall never return ~ My soul shall stay with those gone ~ But if indeed, I managed to escape ~ I shall reach that peaceful land by dawn.

Hiding in fear, but buried in angerI cried, ~ "Why do people start the war?" ~ "To claim all lives? To kill the peace?!" ~ It's not a game at all.

The deaths and ruins made a ghastly mess ~ The war had made it worse ~ For it sparked many a protest ~ It was just like a deadly curse!

Sad and tragic was the ending ~ The war had brought upon us ~ Imagine the innocent lives all gone ~ The war is so unjust.


No comments:

Post a Comment